Plugins/Upgrades: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

Plugins/Upgrades: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

edward.young
After a fresh install of Hudson 2.90 installation running in a Tomcat 6
instance I tried to install some plugins. When I try to install any
plugin I get:

javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected
error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the
trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

       at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$6.run(HttpURLConnection.java:1345)
       at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getChainedException(HttpURLConnection.java:1339)
       at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:993)
       at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.getInputStream(HttpsURLConnectionImpl.java:234)
       at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download(UpdateCenter.java:563)
       at hudson.model.UpdateCenter$DownloadJob.run(UpdateCenter.java:754)
       at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Any ideas?

--
- Ed

Re: Plugins/Upgrades: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator

Which JVM do you run Hudson on?

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Plugins/Upgrades: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

edward.young
Thanks for the reply

 Tomcat Version          JVM Version
Apache Tomcat/6.0.18 1.6.0_11-b03

JVM Vendor                  OS Name   OS Version   OS Architecture
Sun Microsystems Inc. Linux        2.6.18-53.el5 amd64

Ed Young wrote:
> Thanks for the reply
>
>  Tomcat Version          JVM Version
> Apache Tomcat/6.0.18 1.6.0_11-b03
>
> JVM Vendor                  OS Name   OS Version   OS Architecture
> Sun Microsystems Inc. Linux        2.6.18-53.el5 amd64

Is this OpenJDK?

I found this on Google:
http://www.archivum.info/linux.debian.bugs.dist/2008-08/msg02085.html

Can you install Java from http://java.sun.com/ to see if that fixes it?

Regardless, the developer that wrote this
HttpURLConnection.getChainedException code is an idiot. It totally
clobbers the exception stack trace, and it hides the real cause.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

> Ed Young wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply
>>
>>  Tomcat Version          JVM Version
>> Apache Tomcat/6.0.18 1.6.0_11-b03
>>
>> JVM Vendor                  OS Name   OS Version   OS Architecture
>> Sun Microsystems Inc. Linux        2.6.18-53.el5 amd64
>
> Is this OpenJDK?
>
> I found this on Google:
> http://www.archivum.info/linux.debian.bugs.dist/2008-08/msg02085.html
>
> Can you install Java from http://java.sun.com/ to see if that fixes it?
>
> Regardless, the developer that wrote this
> HttpURLConnection.getChainedException code is an idiot. It totally
> clobbers the exception stack trace, and it hides the real cause.
I filed a bug 6817422 against JDK for this problem.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Plugins/Upgrades: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

edward.young
I'm running a RedHat 5SE platform, and I think the JDK was installed as a sun downloaded binary rpm object. Here's what java -version returns:

[red@wolverine ~]$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_11"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0-b16, mixed mode)

If it's the JDK, it's the only issue I've see so far with it...

Also, Hudson works fine (so far) with only this problem. It's very consistent though.

?

- Ed

Ed Young wrote:
> I'm running a RedHat 5SE platform, and I think the JDK was installed as a
> sun downloaded binary rpm object. Here's what java -version returns:
>
> [red@wolverine ~]$ java -version
> java version "1.6.0_11"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0-b16, mixed mode)
>
> If it's the JDK, it's the only issue I've see so far with it...

Sorry, the only issue in JDK is that it's making it impossible for us to
get to the root cause of the problem.

The root cause is probably elsewhere.

> Also, Hudson works fine (so far) with only this problem. It's very
> consistent though.

If you could, please step execute the
hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download method, and
that should help us find where the root cause is happening.

Also, Google seem to have a lot of postings with this error message,
maybe some of them show how they resolved it.

> ?
>

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ed Young wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the reply
>>>
>>>  Tomcat Version                 JVM Version
>>> Apache Tomcat/6.0.18    1.6.0_11-b03
>>>
>>> JVM Vendor                      OS Name         OS Version      OS
>>> Architecture
>>> Sun Microsystems Inc.   Linux           2.6.18-53.el5   amd64
>>>

>> Is this OpenJDK?
>>
>> I found this on Google:
>> http://www.archivum.info/linux.debian.bugs.dist/2008-08/msg02085.html
>>
>> Can you install Java from http://java.sun.com/ to see if that fixes it?
>>
>> Regardless, the developer that wrote this
>> HttpURLConnection.getChainedException code is an idiot. It totally clobbers
>> the exception stack trace, and it hides the real cause.

>> --
>> Kohsuke Kawaguchi
>> Sun Microsystems                   http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Plugins/Upgrades: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

edward.young
How do I step execute the hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download method?

To do that do I need to run hudson from a source distribution?

I'm running Hudson as a war file deployed to Tomcat 1.6.

By the way, I'm enabling security delegated to the tomcat instance that Hudson is running under, if that's relevant.

- Ed

Ed Young wrote:
> How do I step execute the
> hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download method?
> To do that do I need to run hudson from a source distribution?

You need to download Hudson source bundle, which is on the
documents&files section of the project, I think. See
https://hudson.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=6553&expandFolder=6553&folderID=0

You also need a Java IDE.

> I'm running Hudson as a war file deployed to Tomcat 1.6.
>
> By the way, I'm enabling security delegated to the tomcat instance that
> Hudson is running under, if that's relevant.

It may be or may not be relevant. Hard to say.

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ed Young wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running a RedHat 5SE platform, and I think the JDK was installed as a
>>> sun downloaded binary rpm object. Here's what java -version returns:
>>>
>>> [red@wolverine ~]$ java -version
>>> java version "1.6.0_11"
>>> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_11-b03)
>>> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0-b16, mixed mode)
>>>
>>> If it's the JDK, it's the only issue I've see so far with it...
>>>

>> Sorry, the only issue in JDK is that it's making it impossible for us to
>> get to the root cause of the problem.
>>
>> The root cause is probably elsewhere.
>>
>>  Also, Hudson works fine (so far) with only this problem. It's very
>>> consistent though.
>>>

>> If you could, please step execute the
>> hudson.model.UpdateCenter$UpdateCenterConfiguration.download method, and
>> that should help us find where the root cause is happening.
>>
>> Also, Google seem to have a lot of postings with this error message, maybe
>> some of them show how they resolved it.
>>

>>> ?
>>>

>>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>> --
>> Kohsuke Kawaguchi
>> Sun Microsystems                   http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Sun Microsystems                   http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Plugins/Upgrades: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

Pascale Winninger
On the debian/ubuntu distribution this may be caused by the missing java certificates
On a lenny box the package is not available, I did the following:

wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/ca-certificates-java/ca-certificates-java_20081028_all.deb
dpkg -i ca-certificates-java_20081028_all.deb

and I success to load plugins with the update center.

kohsuke wrote