Multiple branches best practice ?

12

Multiple branches best practice ?

Alex Barna

We have a project with several branches, ranging from 5 to 10. Many our projects have this super-branching natural. We now have one "build" job for each branch since they have different repository URL's and they cannot be parameterized. Usually these build jobs have another downstream "test" jobs so that we result in having lots of job for one single project (number of branches X 2). What is the best practice to configure Hudson for this kind of project?

The problem is the repository URL cannot use the parameters of matrix jobs. Is there any workaround or plugin I've missed?

IIRC, this question has been asked but I cannot find it now.

Re: Multiple branches best practice ?

Sami Tikka
The best practice is probably to do what you are doing. Currently
Hudson cannot build multiple branches in a single job.

It might be best to try to automate the creation and maintenance of
the branch jobs as far as possible. You can do it using the Hudson CLI
and Groovy scripting.

-- Sami

2010/7/29 Alex <[hidden email]>:

> We have a project with several branches, ranging from 5 to 10. Many our
> projects have this super-branching natural. We now have one "build" job for
> each branch since they have different repository URL's and they cannot be
> parameterized. Usually these build jobs have another downstream "test" jobs
> so that we result in having lots of job for one single project (number of
> branches X 2). What is the best practice to configure Hudson for this kind
> of project?
>
> The problem is the repository URL cannot use the parameters of matrix jobs.
> Is there any workaround or plugin I've missed?
>
> IIRC, this question has been asked but I cannot find it now.

Re: Multiple branches best practice ?

Dean Yu
This has been something that's been on the back of my mind for a while. What
Hudson needs is the concept of project groups so that a script can clone
whole groups of projects without having to know about specific projects to
copy.

The next step then is some kind of expression language (maybe Xpath is
adequate for this) so that you can search and replace in the job
configurations.

  - Dean

On 7/29/10 1:00 PM, "Sami Tikka" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The best practice is probably to do what you are doing. Currently
> Hudson cannot build multiple branches in a single job.
>
> It might be best to try to automate the creation and maintenance of
> the branch jobs as far as possible. You can do it using the Hudson CLI
> and Groovy scripting.
>
> -- Sami
>
> 2010/7/29 Alex <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> We have a project with several branches, ranging from 5 to 10. Many our
>> projects have this super-branching natural. We now have one "build" job for
>> each branch since they have different repository URL's and they cannot be
>> parameterized. Usually these build jobs have another downstream "test" jobs
>> so that we result in having lots of job for one single project (number of
>> branches X 2). What is the best practice to configure Hudson for this kind
>> of project?
>>
>> The problem is the repository URL cannot use the parameters of matrix jobs.
>> Is there any workaround or plugin I've missed?
>>
>> IIRC, this question has been asked but I cannot find it now.

Re: Multiple branches best practice ?

Les Mikesell
On 7/29/2010 4:32 PM, Dean Yu wrote:
> This has been something that's been on the back of my mind for a while. What
> Hudson needs is the concept of project groups so that a script can clone
> whole groups of projects without having to know about specific projects to
> copy.
>
> The next step then is some kind of expression language (maybe Xpath is
> adequate for this) so that you can search and replace in the job
> configurations.

Wouldn't it be better to make all of the parts you might want to clone
accept parameters for the variable parts?

--
   Les Mikesell

Re: Multiple branches best practice ?

Dean Yu
Using parameterized builds would mix the build results of different
branches. This isn't desirable.

  -- Dean

Dean Yu wrote:
> Using parameterized builds would mix the build results of different
> branches. This isn't desirable.

That brings up a related missing feature: is there a way to use parameters to
suppy a branch or tag path and have the build results archived to a location
that also expands the parameter?  If this is possible, perhaps with a plugin, it
might take care of this problem (and others).

--
   Les Mikesell

Re: Multiple branches best practice ?

Alex Barna
I second to this idea.

2010/7/30 Les Mikesell <[hidden email]>:
> That brings up a related missing feature: is there a way to use parameters
> to suppy a branch or tag path and have the build results archived to a
> location that also expands the parameter?  If this is possible, perhaps with
> a plugin, it might take care of this problem (and others).

Re: Multiple branches best practice ?

Simon Wiest
Hi Dean,

we are doing exactly this - but not yet with a plugin from within
Hudson. We have a shell script that copies project configurations into
new job directories. While copying we also apply a "search and replace"
(with sed) to the XML files, because we basically just need to change
the SCM location. Then we reload the Hudson configuration from disk.
This last step takes some time, but we need that operation only once a
month.

As a grouping mechanism we employ a convention of the project names
("Copy all projects 'ci_trunk_...' to 'ci_branch-2010-07_...'). We're
also thinking about reusing the user-defined list views as grouping
input, because most of the time, views group exactly the projects we
want to copy.

Cheers,
Simon.

Dean Yu (29.07.2010 23:32):

> This has been something that's been on the back of my mind for a while. What
> Hudson needs is the concept of project groups so that a script can clone
> whole groups of projects without having to know about specific projects to
> copy.
>
> The next step then is some kind of expression language (maybe Xpath is
> adequate for this) so that you can search and replace in the job
> configurations.
>
>    - Dean
>

> On 7/29/10 1:00 PM, "Sami Tikka"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> The best practice is probably to do what you are doing. Currently
>> Hudson cannot build multiple branches in a single job.
>>
>> It might be best to try to automate the creation and maintenance of
>> the branch jobs as far as possible. You can do it using the Hudson CLI
>> and Groovy scripting.
>>
>> -- Sami
>>
>> 2010/7/29 Alex<[hidden email]>:
>>>

>>> We have a project with several branches, ranging from 5 to 10. Many our
>>> projects have this super-branching natural. We now have one "build" job for
>>> each branch since they have different repository URL's and they cannot be
>>> parameterized. Usually these build jobs have another downstream "test" jobs
>>> so that we result in having lots of job for one single project (number of
>>> branches X 2). What is the best practice to configure Hudson for this kind
>>> of project?
>>>
>>> The problem is the repository URL cannot use the parameters of matrix jobs.
>>> Is there any workaround or plugin I've missed?
>>>
>>> IIRC, this question has been asked but I cannot find it now.

Re: Multiple branches best practice ?

Maxim Khon
Hello!

What problems do you have with doing checkout from parameterized URL?

We use the following schema to implement single job for multiple branches:

1) we have a kicker job that has BRANCH parameter. Kicker job sets tag from specified branch and passes down BUILD_NAME parameter (that usually is comprised from another parameter: $PRODUCT_VERSION and $JOB_NUMBER and is usually equal to <product-name>-$PRODUCT_VERSION-$JOB_NUMBER). The name of the tag is $BUILD_NAME

You can omit all this stuff with setting tags because it is dictated by our QA process and is not generally required

2) kicker job spawns build job that does SVN checkout from $BUILD_NAME tag (SVN URL supports parameter substitution)

3) build job does delivery implemented as a build step (using rsync) to the staging server and puts everything to the $BUILD_NAME directory

4) build job spawns test jobs that take the build from $BUILD_NAME

We had to fix a few issues with parameterized builds and SVN checkout (to use "svn switch" instead of "svn checkout" when URL changes) in order to be able to implement all above:

http://issues.hudson-ci.org/browse/HUDSON-2556
http://issues.hudson-ci.org/browse/HUDSON-5687
http://issues.hudson-ci.org/browse/HUDSON-5761

On 30.07.2010, at 3:00, Sami Tikka wrote:

> The best practice is probably to do what you are doing. Currently
> Hudson cannot build multiple branches in a single job.
>
> It might be best to try to automate the creation and maintenance of
> the branch jobs as far as possible. You can do it using the Hudson CLI
> and Groovy scripting.
>
> -- Sami
>
> 2010/7/29 Alex <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> We have a project with several branches, ranging from 5 to 10. Many our
>> projects have this super-branching natural. We now have one "build" job for
>> each branch since they have different repository URL's and they cannot be
>> parameterized. Usually these build jobs have another downstream "test" jobs
>> so that we result in having lots of job for one single project (number of
>> branches X 2). What is the best practice to configure Hudson for this kind
>> of project?
>>
>> The problem is the repository URL cannot use the parameters of matrix jobs.
>> Is there any workaround or plugin I've missed?
>>
>> IIRC, this question has been asked but I cannot find it now.
>>
>> --

Max Khon
Senior Software Developer
Parallels Automation
Parallels
E-mail: [hidden email]
Web Site: http://parallels.com/

2010/7/30 Maxim Khon <[hidden email]>:
> What problems do you have with doing checkout from parameterized URL?

Because I want to let Hudson check out the source code from SCM for me.

Even though, I cannot come up with any problem if I do it myself in my
build script, except that the build cannot be triggered by SCM change.

But it's still a nice-to-have feature.

Alex.

SCM change when there is no change

Curt Patrick
Hello,

Can anyone explain what it means when a job says it is "Started by an SCM change" but there is nothing reported in the "Summary of Changes" section?  This happens fairly often and puzzles me.  BTW, I'm using Perforce.

Curt

RE: SCM change when there is no change

Neerenberg, Aaron
Does anything show in the job's Polling log?

Re: Multiple branches best practice ?

Dean Yu
Care to share your script? :) Using views to group jobs might work, but I
don't think it will scale to a large number of groups.

  -- Dean

On 7/29/10 10:34 PM, "Simon Wiest" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dean,
>
> we are doing exactly this - but not yet with a plugin from within
> Hudson. We have a shell script that copies project configurations into
> new job directories. While copying we also apply a "search and replace"
> (with sed) to the XML files, because we basically just need to change
> the SCM location. Then we reload the Hudson configuration from disk.
> This last step takes some time, but we need that operation only once a
> month.
>
> As a grouping mechanism we employ a convention of the project names
> ("Copy all projects 'ci_trunk_...' to 'ci_branch-2010-07_...'). We're
> also thinking about reusing the user-defined list views as grouping
> input, because most of the time, views group exactly the projects we
> want to copy.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon.
>
> Dean Yu (29.07.2010 23:32):
>> This has been something that's been on the back of my mind for a while. What
>> Hudson needs is the concept of project groups so that a script can clone
>> whole groups of projects without having to know about specific projects to
>> copy.
>>
>> The next step then is some kind of expression language (maybe Xpath is
>> adequate for this) so that you can search and replace in the job
>> configurations.
>>
>>    - Dean
>>

>> On 7/29/10 1:00 PM, "Sami Tikka"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> The best practice is probably to do what you are doing. Currently
>>> Hudson cannot build multiple branches in a single job.
>>>
>>> It might be best to try to automate the creation and maintenance of
>>> the branch jobs as far as possible. You can do it using the Hudson CLI
>>> and Groovy scripting.
>>>
>>> -- Sami

RE: SCM change when there is no change

Curt Patrick
Here is the entire log in all its glory.  Does it give you some clue that I'm missing?:

Started on Jul 30, 2010 9:37:39 AM
Looking for changes...
Using remote perforce client: hudson-OE-HUBS-Oasis-Java-dev-build--1273170058
[OE-HUBS-Oasis-Java-dev-build] $ p4 workspace -o hudson-OE-HUBS-Oasis-Java-dev-build--1273170058
Saving modified client hudson-OE-HUBS-Oasis-Java-dev-build--1273170058
[OE-HUBS-Oasis-Java-dev-build] $ p4 -s client -i
Last sync'd change was 398604
[OE-HUBS-Oasis-Java-dev-build] $ p4 changes -m 2 //hudson-OE-HUBS-Oasis-Java-dev-build--1273170058/...
Latest submitted change selected by workspace is 398604
Assuming that the workspace definition has not changed.
Done. Took 0.55 sec
No changes

Does anything show in the job's Polling log?

RE: RE: SCM change when there is no change

Neerenberg, Aaron
Not really.  I was wondering if the polling output might have just not
saved into the change set correctly, but that doesn't seem to be the
case.

Regards,
Aaron

Does anything show in the job's Polling log?

RE: RE: SCM change when there is no change

Curt Patrick
Here is another bit of oddity about the same job:  In the console output it says that the build finished successfully after about 2 minutes (which is what I'd suspect), but  hours later the job is "still running".  Something is really stuck.

I doubt that this is related to the original problem I reported since I've seen the "no change" often in cases where the build went fine, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for your attention.

Curt

Does anything show in the job's Polling log?

Does anything show in the job's Polling log?

Re: RE: SCM change when there is no change

Thomas Ferris Nicolaisen-2
We're having the same problem here occasionally (like, once a month or
so, 20 developers collaborating on various projects). Suddenly Hudson
will trigger a bunch of builds in different projects with this output

Started by an SCM change
Building remotely on [...]
Updating https://scm.company.com/svn/java/service/trunk
At revision 102945
no change for https://scm.company.com/svn/java/service/trunk since the
previous build
Parsing POMs

One theory is that it something to do with instability in the
Subversion server's availability. I noticed that our mail server was
undergoing some maintenance at the same time, and maybe a techie
pulled the plug on the Subversion server at the same time. I haven't
observed exact correspondence, it's just a shot in the dark.

Running Hudson 1.368, the servers are running stable Debian.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Sri Bolle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not sure what versions you are using.. I had similar issues with some
> of the hudson core and perforce plugin during testing... now using 1.366 and
> latest perforce plugin with no issues...
>
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Curt Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Here is another bit of oddity about the same job:  In the console output
>> it says that the build finished successfully after about 2 minutes (which is
>> what I'd suspect), but  hours later the job is "still running".  Something
>> is really stuck.
>>
>> I doubt that this is related to the original problem I reported since I've
>> seen the "no change" often in cases where the build went fine, but I thought
>> I'd mention it.
>>
>> Thanks for your attention.
>>
>> Curt

I see the same thing, rather frequently, but against a Perforce repository.  So I doubt seriously that this can be blamed on anything Subversion specific.

Curt

We're having the same problem here occasionally (like, once a month or
so, 20 developers collaborating on various projects). Suddenly Hudson
will trigger a bunch of builds in different projects with this output

Started by an SCM change
Building remotely on [...]
Updating https://scm.company.com/svn/java/service/trunk
At revision 102945
no change for https://scm.company.com/svn/java/service/trunk since the
previous build
Parsing POMs

One theory is that it something to do with instability in the
Subversion server's availability. I noticed that our mail server was
undergoing some maintenance at the same time, and maybe a techie
pulled the plug on the Subversion server at the same time. I haven't
observed exact correspondence, it's just a shot in the dark.

Running Hudson 1.368, the servers are running stable Debian.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Sri Bolle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not sure what versions you are using.. I had similar issues with some
> of the hudson core and perforce plugin during testing... now using 1.366 and
> latest perforce plugin with no issues...
>
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Curt Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Here is another bit of oddity about the same job:  In the console output
>> it says that the build finished successfully after about 2 minutes (which is
>> what I'd suspect), but  hours later the job is "still running".  Something
>> is really stuck.
>>
>> I doubt that this is related to the original problem I reported since I've
>> seen the "no change" often in cases where the build went fine, but I thought
>> I'd mention it.
>>
>> Thanks for your attention.
>>
>> Curt

Richard Bywater
Just to throw another SCM type into the mix, I'm also seeing this on
Clearcase - unfortunately because the polling logs aren't kept (I
don't think?) then I can't tell why it kicked off multiple builds.

Perhaps the polling log mechanism could be changed to keep the logs
for a period to help solve issues like this?

Richard.

12