Can't see error messages on configure page

Can't see error messages on configure page

M. Richey

Hi all,

after copying jobs (the config.xml only) from our Hudson (1.386) to the latest version of Jenkins we got same areas where the background of text turned grey. I saw that before when there was an error or an exception while developing a plugin but there is no custom plugin installed and I can't see an error message, neither in the console, nor in the logs on the Configure page itself. Does anyone have an idea how to figure out what the problem is?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Maik

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page

M. Richey

Is it possible to define a new logger for this or how could we figure out what the problem is? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Maik

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:59:14 +0200
> Von: "M. Richey" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Can\'t see error messages on configure page

> Hi all,
>
> after copying jobs (the config.xml only) from our Hudson (1.386) to the
> latest version of Jenkins we got same areas where the background of text
> turned grey. I saw that before when there was an error or an exception while
> developing a plugin but there is no custom plugin installed and I can't see
> an error message, neither in the console, nor in the logs on the Configure
> page itself. Does anyone have an idea how to figure out what the problem is?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Maik
>
> --
> NEU: FreePhone - kostenlos mobil telefonieren!

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

M. Richey

Used a "clean" version of Jenkins and installed the Parameterized Trigger Plugin version 2.8 only. Et voila, the problem appears again. So it is a problem with the Parameterized Trigger Plugin and Jenkins 1.417!?

Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone confirm?

Regards,

Maik

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:26:20 +0200
> Von: "M. Richey" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: Can\'t see error messages on configure page

> Is it possible to define a new logger for this or how could we figure out
> what the problem is? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maik
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:59:14 +0200
> > Von: "M. Richey" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Betreff: Can\'t see error messages on configure page
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > after copying jobs (the config.xml only) from our Hudson (1.386) to the
> > latest version of Jenkins we got same areas where the background of text
> > turned grey. I saw that before when there was an error or an exception
> while
> > developing a plugin but there is no custom plugin installed and I can't
> see
> > an error message, neither in the console, nor in the logs on the
> Configure
> > page itself. Does anyone have an idea how to figure out what the problem
> is?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Maik
> >
> > --
> > NEU: FreePhone - kostenlos mobil telefonieren!
> > Jetzt informieren: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freephone

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

Simon Wiest
Hi Maik,

M. Richey wrote (25.06.2011 16:07):
> after copying jobs (the config.xml only) from our Hudson (1.386) to the
> latest version of Jenkins we got same areas where the background of text
> turned grey.

Could you elaborate which areas turn grey? On which page?

Cheers,
Simon.

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

slide

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Simon Wiest <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Maik,

M. Richey wrote <a href="tel:%2825.06.2011%2016" value="+12506201116" target="_blank">(25.06.2011 16:07):

A screenshot might be helpful.

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

M. Richey
It is the "configure" page of the job (see screenshot attached) and it happened on Jenkins 1.417 with the Parameterized Trigger Plugin version 2.8.

Regards,

Maik

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Parameterized_Screenshot.png (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

slide

That's not a greyed out option, its just the graphic that is used as a bullet item.

On Jun 25, 2011 8:42 AM, "M. Richey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is the "configure" page of the job (see screenshot attached) and it happened on Jenkins 1.417 with the Parameterized Trigger Plugin version 2.8.
>
> Regards,
>
> Maik
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 07:47:10 -0700
>> Von: Slide <[hidden email]>
>> An: [hidden email]
>> Betreff: Re: Can\'t see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?
>
>> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Simon Wiest <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Maik,
>> >
>> > M. Richey wrote (25.06.2011 16:07):
>> >
>> > after copying jobs (the config.xml only) from our Hudson (1.386) to the
>> text
>> >>

>> > Could you elaborate which areas turn grey? On which page?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Simon.
>> >

>> A screenshot might be helpful.
>>
>> slide
>>
>> --
>> slide-o-blog
>> http://slide-o-blog.blogspot.com/

> NEU: FreePhone - kostenlos mobil telefonieren!

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

M. Richey

Sorry, but I got something like this during plugin development when an error occurred.

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the grey background behind "Configure", "String parameter", "Invoke top-level Maven targets". And that background disappears if you deinstall the Parameterized Trigger Plugin. So I don't think it is expected to look like this.

Maik

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 09:01:03 -0700
> Von: Slide <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: Can\'t see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

> That's not a greyed out option, its just the graphic that is used as a
> bullet item.
> On Jun 25, 2011 8:42 AM, "M. Richey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It is the "configure" page of the job (see screenshot attached) and it
> happened on Jenkins 1.417 with the Parameterized Trigger Plugin version
> 2.8.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Maik
> >

> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >> Datum: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 07:47:10 -0700
> >> Von: Slide <[hidden email]>
> >> An: [hidden email]
> >> Betreff: Re: Can\'t see error messages on configure page - caused by
> Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

> the
> >> text

> >> A screenshot might be helpful.
> >>
> >> slide
> >>
> >> --
> >> slide-o-blog
> >> http://slide-o-blog.blogspot.com/
> >
> > --
> > NEU: FreePhone - kostenlos mobil telefonieren!
> > Jetzt informieren: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freephone

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

slide

The thing I am looking at is the little grey square next to the text "maven." I don't see any other gray area in the screenshot.

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

Simon Wiest
Hi Maik,

I just installed the Parameterized Trigger Plugin 2.8 into a pristine
Jenkins 1.417 - but, alas, I could not reproduce your screen shot,
neither in Firefox 5, nor Chrome 12, nor Internet Explorer 8 (all on
Windows XP).

What browser/OS are you using? Does the same dark background appear when
accessing Jenkins from another browser or/and computer?

Looking at the HTML source, the three items "Configure", "String
Parameter", and "Invoke top-level Maven targets" are all wrapped in <b>
tags, whereas all other bold items on the same page are styled by CSS,
e.g. "Build Triggers". Perhaps you are applying a custom style sheet or
some other browser override that renders <b> elements as white-on-dark?

Cheers,
Simon.
--
M. Richey (25.06.2011 17:42):

> It is the "configure" page of the job (see screenshot attached) and it happened on Jenkins 1.417 with the Parameterized Trigger Plugin version 2.8.
>
> Regards,
>
> Maik
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 07:47:10 -0700
>> Von: Slide<[hidden email]>
>> An: [hidden email]
>> Betreff: Re: Can\'t see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?
>
>> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Simon Wiest<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Maik,
>>>
>>> M. Richey wrote (25.06.2011 16:07):
>>>
>>>   after copying jobs (the config.xml only) from our Hudson (1.386) to the
>> text
>>>>

>>> Could you elaborate which areas turn grey? On which page?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Simon.
>>>

>> A screenshot might be helpful.
>>
>> slide

>> slide-o-blog
>> http://slide-o-blog.blogspot.com/

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

M. Richey

All right, see screenshot attached. Then it hopefully get clear what I mean. I recognized something like this as I was working on a plugin myself and had some trouble. But I saw some trace not only background turned grey.

The grey background disappear when you deinstall the Parameterized Trigger Plugin. But I have no idea what exactly the problem is and how to figure it out.

Regards,

Maik

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Parameterized_Screenshot.png (34K) Download Attachment

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

M. Richey

Hi Simon,

I'm on Windows Vista 64bit. And I do have that problem with Firefox and Internet Explorer 7. And there are no style sheets other than the ones delivered with Jenkins.

What I did was, mentioned that in my first mail, importing jobs and config from our "old" Hudson 1.386. Then I first saw this behavior. To identify what the problem is, I set a new empty folder as JENKINS_HOME and got it again after installing the Parameterized Trigger Plugin. Weird.

Regards,

Maik

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 20:55:37 +0200
> Von: Simon Wiest <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: Can\'t see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

> Hi Maik,
>
> I just installed the Parameterized Trigger Plugin 2.8 into a pristine
> Jenkins 1.417 - but, alas, I could not reproduce your screen shot,
> neither in Firefox 5, nor Chrome 12, nor Internet Explorer 8 (all on
> Windows XP).
>
> What browser/OS are you using? Does the same dark background appear when
> accessing Jenkins from another browser or/and computer?
>
> Looking at the HTML source, the three items "Configure", "String
> Parameter", and "Invoke top-level Maven targets" are all wrapped in <b>
> tags, whereas all other bold items on the same page are styled by CSS,
> e.g. "Build Triggers". Perhaps you are applying a custom style sheet or
> some other browser override that renders <b> elements as white-on-dark?
>
> Cheers,
> Simon.
> --
> M. Richey (25.06.2011 17:42):
> > It is the "configure" page of the job (see screenshot attached) and it
> happened on Jenkins 1.417 with the Parameterized Trigger Plugin version 2.8.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Maik
> >

> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >> Datum: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 07:47:10 -0700
> >> Von: Slide<[hidden email]>
> >> An: [hidden email]
> >> Betreff: Re: Can\'t see error messages on configure page - caused by
> Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

> the
> >> text

> >> A screenshot might be helpful.
> >>
> >> slide
> >>
> >> --
> >> slide-o-blog
> >> http://slide-o-blog.blogspot.com/

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

slide
I also can't replicate this on a fresh install of Jenkins. Does it cause problems running jobs?

slide

slide-o-blog
http://slide-o-blog.blogspot.com/

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

M. Richey

That's hard to say. I got a problem with the NodeLabel Parameter Plugin. But this is released together with Jenkins 1.417 the first. So it is hard to say if it is a problem with that plugin, or with the Parameterized Trigger Plugin or probably the combination of both. But the grey background appears with the Parameterized Trigger Plugin installed only, the NodeLabel Parameter Plugin must not be installed.

Maik

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:50:18 -0700
> Von: Slide <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: Can\'t see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

> I also can't replicate this on a fresh install of Jenkins. Does it cause
> problems running jobs?
>
> slide
>
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM, M. Richey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > All right, see screenshot attached. Then it hopefully get clear what I
> > mean. I recognized something like this as I was working on a plugin
> myself
> > and had some trouble. But I saw some trace not only background turned
> grey.
> >
> > The grey background disappear when you deinstall the Parameterized
> Trigger
> > Plugin. But I have no idea what exactly the problem is and how to figure
> it
> > out.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Maik
> >

> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > > Datum: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:56:08 -0700
> > > Von: Slide <[hidden email]>
> > > An: [hidden email]
> > > Betreff: Re: Can\'t see error messages on configure page - caused by
> > Parameterized Trigger Plugin?
> >
> > > The thing I am looking at is the little grey square next to the text
> > > "maven." I don't see any other gray area in the screenshot.
> > > On Jun 25, 2011 9:13 AM, "M. Richey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > --
> > Empfehlen Sie GMX DSL Ihren Freunden und Bekannten und wir
> > belohnen Sie mit bis zu 50,- Euro! https://freundschaftswerbung.gmx.de
> >

> --
> slide-o-blog
> http://slide-o-blog.blogspot.com/

Re: Can't see error messages on configure page - caused by Parameterized Trigger Plugin?

M. Richey

That's weird! I tried it on a different computer and can't reproduce it myself. On the computer it appeared the first it's still there and could be reproduced by installing/deinstalling the Parameterized Trigger Plugin. They are both Windows Vista 64 bit running excactly the same plugins (copied from one computer to the other).

I'll ask our administrators to reinstall the one it happened the first from scratch.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience and appreciated your support very much. Thanks!

Regards,

Maik

-------- Original-Nachricht --------